This is a lighter and more carroty take on the classic carrot cake. Would be prefect dessert for any fall dish. And I'd even eat it for breakfast, well I'd eat any cake for breakfast, but still, here it is..
Ingredients:
2 eggs, 1 separated
3 extra egg whites
1 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1 c sugar, divided
2/3 c light olive oil
6 carrots peeled and grated very small
walnuts, optional
Preheat oven to 400 and lightly grease cake pan. Combine all dry ingredients and spices in a med bowl and mix. In an electric mixer beat 4 egg whites until white and full. Add 1/4 c of sugar and beat additional 1-2 min until peaks. Transfer to large bowl if using a stand mixer. Now in empty bowl whisk egg yolk, whole egg and remaining 3/4 c sugar, beat about 3-4 min, while mixing add oil. Remove and carefully fold in flour mixture, carrots and walnuts (I put mine in a sauté pan for a minute to let out the oils and flavor). Now fold in egg white mixture, make sure to limit folding so you don't deflate. Transfer to the cake pan and bake at 400 for 30, then turn down to 350 for 30 more min. Let cool for 30 min. While cooling make frosting.
In mixer, beat 1 tbs powdered sugar, 1 tbs softened butter add 2/3 cup approx cream cheese and 2 tbs heavy whipping cream until smooth and whipped. I like a lot of frosting so I will add more of all these to taste. Once cake is completely cool, slice it in half and spread the frosting in the middle. Put top of cake back on and add a sprinkle of powdered sugar to the top, cut and serve. It's kind of a process, but worth all the work in the end.
Enjoy!