It was quite the process and here are some pictures of what it looked like when we bought it. When James brought it home I have to admit I was really wondering if someone should have paid him to take the wood away, but he surprised me in the end, as usual :)
Here are some pics I snapped along the way. I don't have any before shots of what he had to take down to make room, but he took out a hedge, tree and planter boxes (that never got enough sun to grow much)
The wood is 10+ years old, but very solid and after some sanding, cutting off rotted pieces and painting it looks like new. James re-built and designed the new structure all in his head without any drawings, which still amazes me.
It turned into a family project and the kids enjoyed helping too.
Here is it! The kids think it is great and it's so nice to have the space for them to run and play. They love to pretend they are in a battle ship at the top and have spent many hours digging in the rocks underneath.
Thanks daddy!