Wednesday, October 19, 2011

pumpkin and apple picking

We took a trip to the Chiles peach orchard in Crozet while papa and gamma were here visiting. It was a gorgeous orchard, full of all sorts of fruit and the little farmhouse shop sold all sorts of apple things, donuts, ice cream, cider, etc. and some really cute apple baskets I've been eyeing for quite some time. We will definitely be back for some peach picking during that season too.

We've never actually picked our own pumpkins off the vine before, so this was a new experience for us and lots of fun. The kids got to pick the perfect pumpkin out and papa assisted with the cutting. It was lots of fun. Avery enjoyed seeing his first pumpkin, it is a rather large a funny thing isn't it? They turned out to be perfect carving pumpkins too.



And after that we strolled on down to the apple orchard. They had several different kinds growing and rows and rows of them. This was an experience I must say, and biting into an apple fresh off the tree..so delicious! Crisp and juicy, best apples I ever had. The kids enjoyed them too, although I'm pretty sure the best part for them was in the picking. It was also neat for them to see where all the apples they've been eating really come from, gives more appreciation for the food, I think.

Avery agrees, those apples are pretty awesome. Thanks papa and gamma for some amazing memories!