Thursday, January 26, 2012

sewing for Madilyn

Missy did end up getting something homemade from mama for her birthday. With the usual busyness of chasing after three littles, a few extra movie nights with the hubby and spending time with an awesome friend from Cali, I fell a little bit behind on all the sewing I had hoped to have done in time for the big day. Luckily the biggest gift did get done just in time and Valentine's Day is right around the corner for all those others I have ready to go. Sewing is on my mind in a big way, so I'm sure there will be lots to come very soon.

But her handmade gift was made with the thoughts of some dreamy request of the birthday girl a while back, asking for another fairy to play with daisy and rose (the yellow and pink) and a place for all of them to sleep with her in her bed and horse's are always in the mix somewhere..oh silly girl.
I saw this lovely carousel fabric at a quilting shop and knew it was perfect for her. The rest I kind of made up as I went, I adore pockets for kids so that was a must. I'm not a huge fan of zippers on bedding/pillows, because they are cold and well, a pain to put on, so pretty blue ribbon it is, which she has had fun working on her bows with. Her face in the photos really says it all. And when I told her I made it all for her on my sewing machine, she sweetly said, "mama, this is soo imprisive (impressive)" Love that!
And she has been so excited that she now knows how to spell her name all by herself and writes it on everything. So I decided to trace and embroider her name, in her very handwriting on her pillow. Considering I did it without a hoop, I am happy with it and she loves that it's really hers.
And it's gets even better, every morning since her birthday she has been very proudly making her own bed before school. She lines up her favorite friends with her fairy pillow and even puts her baby crib quilt right on top of it all. Adorable. I love sewing for Madilyn.