Wednesday, August 22, 2012

smoothie and a big boy


I've recently had a big thing for smoothies. Not the super sweet kind we had as kids, but the filling and good for you kind, full of all sorts of healthy things. I've been experimenting with throwing just about anything in and seeing what I can get away with, in terms of what the kids will actually drink and I have to say fruit is amazing at masking some very healthy stuff! I had someone ask what I put in ours, so I thought I would share what I used this morning, although it's always changing depending on what I have on hand. 
I always start off with a whole orange from our tree, blend that smooth, add a banana, some frozen wild blueberries, a few frozen strawberries, about 1/2 cup of rolled oats, 1/2 cup or so of whole plain yogurt or greek yogurt, scoop of super green powder mix, handful or two of kale, some spinach, baby carrots, some cooked and sliced beats from the night before (do not use raw!), a fig and a splash of water or ice. I threw it all in the vitamix, turned it on and 1 minute later is a yummy purple smoothie! Kids drank it up as fast as they could. 

Especially the littlest kid. He was so digging it this morning, if you can't tell by the pics. He is also sitting in a "big boy chair" at the table, as opposed to his high chair. This is the new spot he requests for breakfast and it's very cute to see him there. Growing up so fast!