Monday, February 27, 2012

for Avery

Our little man finally got his party and first birthday cake! We all sang and danced around with him, blew up balloons and made him feel special. His expressions were so cute when the cake came out and he wasn't quite sure what to do with it at first, but eventually he ended up loving it and eating it all up.
We made him an applesauce cake with a light blueberry frosting, my new favorite kid birthday cake recipe without any sugar and I'd say we were all impressed with how yummy and moist it was, more cake today for breakfast!
Avery's birthday crown came just in time. I made it to match his sister and brother's, here and here. I was only able to find brown felted wool locally, so I added a few little extra's and lined it with fleece instead of wool, I like the way it turned out and Avery didn't mind wearing it, I'm sure it was because he knew how cute he looked.
And we got our little musician a beautiful wooden rainbow glockenspiel with a handle for carrying and a small wooden buggy car, fun keepsakes and he had a lot of fun playing with his new toys.
Of course he needed a little something made by mama on his birthday too and so I made our little monkey a little monkey! I tired to make him as small as could for those little hands to carry, his ears turned out a little bigger than I was really trying to make them, but he's cute anyways. My fabric stash is down to just about nothing, especially in boyish prints, but I was able to find enough small scraps here and there to put him together and I even cut up one of Avery's old baby slings to use as fabric for the main body. Love giving new life to something.
It was love at first sight.