Tuesday, October 30, 2012

our mermaid

Madilyn the mermaid was officially complete with a trip back to her homeland over the weekend. This girl just belongs besides those crashing waves and sandy beaches, it runs very deep for her, I'd say.

And Madilyn and I designed this costume together. She picked out the colors and fabrics and drew what she was thinking and I tried my best to make her ideas come to life. The skirt came out exactly how we had hoped and I think it is her favorite part of the costume. I also tried to take my time making it and I love how thick and durable it came out to be, I can see it lasting around here for a while. The top came together a little last minute and the shells are a bit bigger than I was going for, but it worked and she loved it all, which is really all that matters. She was so excited when she saw I ended up using a real sand dollar on the top and a real starfish on her hair. We also did mermaid make-up and painted her nails shimmery blue, it was a lot of fun for both of us.

She said she was a real mermaid and all the creatures in the ocean were watching her out on that beach. Love the imagination of a four year old, and this mama is soaking it all up while I can.